Monday, September 5, 2011

Culture Shock


I know what you're thinking. How could anybody feel culture shock in a city where everyone is white, friendly and speaks english? Au contraire. It has definitely been harder to adjust to the Danish way of life than I ever expected. Here are a few of the things that have really made an impact:


7. Danes Don't Look Like Me
One thing here is not like the others...
I should be used to the whole "only brunette in the room" thing by now, considering that 99% of the people at Georgetown are blond bombshells. Here, though, they are on a whole other level. Everyone is tall, pale, blonde and blue eyed. My "ethnically ambiguous" look (thanks, Charlotte, for that surprisingly accurate description of my appearance) simply doesn't cut it here. As a short, dark Jewish girl with an untamed "nest" of hair, I do not fit in. The other night, though, a drunk homeless man did tell me I was *the most* beautiful girl in the world. So maybe there is hope. (He asked for money almost immediately after ... but it still counts ask me.)



6. Danes Have Dirty Water
Upon arriving in Denmark, we were informed almost immediately that the water was infected with E. Coli. This meant we had to use bottled water for everything. Surprise! You're back in Punta Cana! I know I have complained about the prices here in almost every post, but let me just remind you that a bottle of water costs $5. So I basically had to pay every time I brushed my teeth. If I wanted to rough it I would have gone to India. At least there I could have become a Bollywood superstar.




5. Danes Follow the Rules
After living in New York this past Summer, I like to think of myself as a highly educated J-Walker. One pretty much has to be in order to stand any chance of making it to work on time in the middle of Time Square. I would sprint in front of cars to make the light and casually stroll along to the beat of the blinking red hand.  Here, that kind of illegal activity just doesn't fly. (Sidenote-- I got cited for J-walking in LA last summer. That city is weird and law abiding too.) In Denmark, it is expected that you WAIT FOR THE LIGHT TO CHANGE BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET. Can you imagine?! Let me just say, I have had some serious trouble with this, and am convinced that I will lose a battle of "girl meets bike" over the course of the next 3 months.



4. Danes Drink Beer
I don't.


3. Danes Don't Date
The other night, we were at Kulor bar when one of my friends hit it off with a charming Danish man. After dancing and getting to know each other, the man asked her if she wanted to "meet him" in the bathroom. Excuse me?!?!?!?! When I asked my Danish male roommates about this, they told me his presumptuousness was entirely normal. They are extremely open about sex here, and therefore treat it very casually. Apparently, many Danish girls would have happily followed my friend's suitor to the back stall. Luckily, we all know better. Oh, and heres a fun fact: 1 in 10 Danish people have Chlamydia.


2. Danes Like to be Naked
My one complaint about my housing here in Denmark is about the bathrooms. To put it simply, they are disgusting. There is one toilet, one sink and one shower for 6 people, which is a little overwhelming for someone who has never had to share a bathroom before (Thank you, Village C). Because of this, I have taken to showering at the gym every day. The locker room is like a spa, complete with a steam room and sauna, and the showers are amazing. There is only one problem: they don't have doors. Most nights I am the only one left in the building (they usually have to kick me out -- I am that hardcore), so I was not faced with Danish nudity until last night. Two women made their way into the stalls on either side of me (separated only by frosted glass panels) and proceeded to step outside of the showers periodically to converse. Completely buck naked!! It was a little much. Apparently, according to Danish standards I am a total prude (Ha!). Upon further research, I learned that some families walk around in their underwear, or even naked, together in their homes. I am meeting my visiting family on Saturday, and I am realllly hoping that they are not one of those families.


And the biggest, most difficult culture shock I have experienced....


1. Danes don't wear big necklaces.
This only added an extra 15 pounds to my luggage. NBD
For anybody who knows me and is familiar with the way I dress, this is a huge problem. One of the first nights we went out, Danish men kept coming up to me and telling me that they knew I was American because of the way I had chosen to accessorize. But my mom bought me the necklace in Morocco! It isn't even from America! For now though, I refuse to give up my signature statement pieces.






Although I am still working to get adjusted, I have a feeling I will never fully assimilate into Danish culture. I am far too *me* to ever become a beer drinking, law abiding nudist. As Amanda Bynes' love interest in What a Girl Wants (who am I kidding. I know his name is Oliver James) wisely asked, "Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?"

The only European boy I've ever been attracted to (besides Bruno) 

No comments:

Post a Comment