Sunday, September 4, 2011

Copenhagen's finest


It has been 4 days since my last update -- considering I have been in various states of drunk and hungover since then I haven't really had time to blog. I consider that to be indicative of a successful weekend. I made a significant dent in my bucket list, and felt like a total tourist while doing it.
Yes. I wore this to a club. Judge me.
(No. I did not make out with any Danes on this night)



On Thursday night, we tried to go to Kulor Bar for $12 open bar, but the line was a mile and a half long and filled with 15 year olds. The whole "no drinking age" thing is really great until you turn around and realize that the guy you have been grinding with all night is in middle school and riddled with teenage acne. No thanks. We ran into my friend Nate (Sup Providence) in line and he convinced Charlotte, Alison and I to go to "White Room" in the meatpacking district with a few of the Denison guys. After getting lost for 45 minutes in a rather sketchy area of the city (stellar directional skills, Nathaniel) and asking random strangers where "the white bar" was (only to be met with dirty looks ....), we finally made it. We were met out front by Nate's friend Bruno and a random stranger with an afro who offered us shots of Jager from the back of his bicycle. Not sketchy at all. They then informed us that White Bar (White Room? Now I can't even remember what the place was actually called) had flooded and the event was cancelled. COOL! We followed them to an empty Danish bar where they offered us tequila shots to make up for the fact that our night had failed so epically. That turned things around quickly. The bar played horrible rock music and we may or may not have danced on the bar. Bruno and I may or may not have fallen in love. The night ended with the per usual trip to McDonalds, but this time I asked for my Big Mac on a whole wheat bun so it was ok. I was so proud of my healthy decision that I went back and got a McFlurry for the walk home. 






Does "Nom Nom" Translate?
;)


On Friday, I slept until noon. After my 1 o'clock class I met some of the galz at the new farmers market that opened up down the block from us. It is the most amazing place in the entire world. We feasted on $20 pastries and free samples, which made for a balanced and economical meal. We walked around and shopped a little bit, then came home for a dinner party with our Danish roommates. They are honestly the best, sweetest guys in the world. They are both named Michael and are in their late 20's. We all pregamed together, and they insisted that we took shots that tasted like salty licorice. Vile.










Traumatized by our experience with the disgusting Danish alcohol, we headed out to LA HACIENDA, which had an open bar from 11pm until 8am. I actually can't even begin to describe this place. If Dayglow and Thirds were ever to mate, La Hacienda would be their love child. We danced all night, on various stages and other points of elevation (shout out to Annie Vaughan, who I know is doing the same thing in Florence. Ciao bella!!) and wandered home at sunrise.
On Stage, looking a lot less cool than I thought I did at the time.






Saturday night, Charlotte, Kelly and I went to dinner on the harbor. It was so pretty all lit up, and we found a cute little place that served good Danish food and beer. We came home and pregamed with all of our roomies, then went to a place called "Billy Booze" (LOL) for cheap drinks. We waited in line for an hour, but once we got inside it was absolutely worth it. I was wearing my thigh high boots, and between them and the $2 drinks I was feeling pretty damn fabulous. The dance floor was a lot of fun and we were with a really great group of people. After we left, a miracle happened. I ATE MY FIRST DANISH HOTDOG. It was everything I had been dreaming of and more. I asked the man to give me "the works" (I have no idea what that means and I don't want to ever know) and it was beyond delicious.
...Are those pickles?




Today, we went and got smoothies from the farmer's market and went on a canal tour in the harbor. Our tour guide was beautiful, and I am pretty sure we took more pictures of him than of the scenery. It wasn't until the tour was almost over that we realized he was 16. Honest mistake, but it really needs to stop happening. We walked around the harbor, ate gelato, and bought fresh fruit from a street vendor. Pictures of the scenery (and the beautiful tri-lingual teenager) to come. Tonight, I made real dinner for myself, which I am extremely proud of. When I say real dinner I mean that I chopped vegetables for a salad, but it's a start. At least it wasn't a Luna Bar. Or a burnt pita. 












XX



No comments:

Post a Comment