Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What a Weekend.

Friday evening, my communications program had a social in Copenhagen's "ultra chic meatpacking district." Sound familiar, New Yorkers? It was set to begin at 4:30, and my friends Lindsay, Taylor and I thought we would take advantage of the situation and get to know the public transportation. We got off of the first of the two buses we were supposed to take, and were immediately lost. We spent 45 minutes looking for the second bus, which we of course never found. We did get to do a little bit of site seeing, and I got my first look at the famous Tivoli Gardens and Copenhagen's central station. We finally arrived (an hour late) and were in definitely need of the two complimentary drinks we were offered. After 20 minutes of talking with some of the other students in the program while simultaneously throwing back white wine and pretending to know about Danish politics, the bartender announced that he had bought too much alcohol and was giving it away. CHA CHING! The three of us filled our cups and stashed a few beers and a bottle of wine in our bags for the trip home. There is no open container law in Denmark, so you can drink in public on the street! Pretty cool. Instead of braving the bus system again, we decided to try and walk back to our apartment. Of course, we eventually realized we were less than a mile from home. In a straight line.































































On Saturday we went to dinner with our new roommate Meg, her boyfriend Chris and some of his friends from his Kollegium. It was definitely a nice opportunity to make some guy friends. We had a hard time finding a place that served both alcohol and cheap food, but we eventually found a place called "Kras Bar" next door to DIS. They had amazing happy hour specials (2 cocktails for $10) and good food (I had pesto pasta-- not quite Danish food but I'm making progress) , so we will definitely be back there soon. We then came back to our apartment and had a huge pregame where we played American drinking games and a Danish drinking game. The Danish game was similar to American "Quarters"-- but demands that you drink much more frequently. As the third most alcoholic country in the world, they go hard here. Once we were all sufficiently inebriated, we went to a Danish club called "Rust." It was a long walk in the pouring rain, but it was definitely worth it. We were seemingly the only American people in the entire bar, and I of course bopped around the place making friends with people from Dubai and Istanbul. I also made friends with the bouncer (of course.) and got free drink tickets, so that will definitely come in handy. Around 3:30, we decided to head home. But not before a quick pitstop at McDonalds. We walked an extra half mile in the rain (with no coats!) to get there and waited in line for a half an hour. I ate TWO big macs (!!!!!) and finally felt full for the first time since my arrival.


































Sunday morning, I thought it would be a good idea to wake up early to work off the alcohol and disgusting amounts of food I consumed the night before. I made my way to Palmfitness (the amazinnnnnng gym I joined) for 10am spinning. The class was impossible, and entirely in Danish. I clearly did not think this through very well, as I should have known that in a city where people bike EVERYWHERE the spin classes must be intense. I then met Meg, Katherine and Meg's friend Carina for brunch at the cafe on our corner. It is so cute! The food was delicious and it was really nice to be able to go out for Sunday brunch. It was no Booey's or Butcher Shop-- but it was amazing. Then, we met the boys and we all went to Tivoli, the oldest amusement park in the world. It is beyond beautiful, and we bought season passes so we can go back as often as we want. We went on a swing ride that gave us an amazing view of the city, though my fear of heights made it quite challenging to keep my eyes open. Nevertheless, I am definitely glad I did it. We walked around through the gardens and took a million touristy pictures:






























































This bitch has the best job ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment