Thursday, November 17, 2011

The St. Petersburg Metro for Dummies-- Russia Part 1

Sooo last week I went to Russia.

It was an optional school trip, and somehow DIS managed to convince 36 students and 4 teachers that it would be a good idea to haul out to the outskirts of Siberia in the middle of winter (by the way-- did anyone else know that Siberia was a real place??).

We started in St. Petersburg. The first night of our trip, people had the option to pay to go to the ballet or to go to a bar. Considering I am bored easily and bordering on bankruptcy, I chose the latter. My friend C. and I tried 3 different places before we finally found a Hookah bar that agreed to seat and serve Americans. We ended up sitting with three boys from our program who we had never laid eyes on. We felt super awkward, so we got drunk.

Welcome to my nightmare.
By the time we met up with the rest of the group to go to dinner, we were hammered. We walked into the restaurant and were welcomed with plates covered in multi-colored combinations of fish and mayonaise... our two least favorite foods. And vodka shots. At this point, C. decided to start finger painting with the mayonaise and flinging baby shrimp at me from across the table. We were really making good progress with our new boy friends. Luckily, the boy next to me (with whom I had been going shot for shot with ...) took this opportunity to buy three rounds for our chaperones. They were blacked out within the next 8 minutes.

After two hours, six shots and ZERO food, we stumbled out of the restaurant to embark on our first ride on the St. Petersburg metro. Our chaperones wanted to give us a tour of the metro as a group in the hopes that we would figure it out and be able to use it on our own during the few days we were in the city. Our behavior during that first night shattered those dreams pretty quickly. Before being abroad, I had never taken public transportation in my life. Now, I can proudly say that I have mastered public transport in 7 different cities. I do not consider St. Petersburg to be one of these cities.

Somehow, C. and I got "distracted" and ended up at the back of the group with two of the boys. Apparently we were supposed to switch trains, but none of the four of us ever really got the memo. We ended up riding around for 45 minutes until by some stroke of miracle, I figured out how to get us home. That's right. Me. I take full credit.

When we finally made it out of the metro, the boys were so excited that they tackled me to the ground to say thank you. Like -- actually tackled. I have bruises. I spent the rest of the night bitching about a "concussion" for attention, which didn't really work. Especially when I tried to tell my teacher it was the brain damage, not the alcohol, that caused us to get lost.



Russia- 1  Zo- 0


1 comment:

  1. It seems you had great fun.
    The place is fantastic.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete